Meeting Minutes: March 25th, 2012 Arts Assembly

Meeting Minutes:
March 25th, 2012
Arts Assembly / May Day Arts Planning Meeting
Occupy Town Square at Fort Greene Park
Sunday, March 25, 2012
Thanks to Andrea for taking notes and typing this up.
Facebook invite: Arts Assembly I

Rachel facilitated; meeting began with introductions around the circle.

1. How the May Day plan came together:
May Day traditionally is a day recognizing labor and immigrant issues, is marked with marches and parades. For the first time this year, these groups are uniting with OWS to create a day with cohesive celebration and messaging, with no one group co-opting that, a coalition is formed.

2. The official languaging OWS has chosen:
“General Strike” (language used by other OWS groups in the U.S.)

But also “A Day Without the 99%” (the more all-inclusive phrasing, as unions aren’t allowed to take part in a general strike (?) and therefore will join the day’s events at 4pm)

Also “Legalize, Unionize, We Are the 99%”

3. Proposed Day-Of Schedule:

8am-2pm at Bryant Park = kid-friendly and raucous events

2pm = march from Bryant Park to Union Square, where a permitted, and kid-friendly rally will take place until 4pm; plan is to limit the number of union-speakers, even though they’re contributing to the funding of the event

2-4pm = the main Immigrant & Labor Rights march to Wall Street (going through Foley Square), ending up at Battery Park; not so pre-figured of a plan, no permit, plan to establish “green zones / safe zones” within

7pm = Battery Park will have music is sound permit comes through; will be starting off point to move out to more militant direct actions.

Where are the best spots for art-actions to take place? Can there be public art everywhere? The planning of these actions is now taking place outside of the May Day organizing meetings as individual working-group-like meetings, following a Spokes model of report-backs.

Actions Already Being Planned:

1. “Call to Create” ( appeals to artists who want to organize actions, and folks who want to support the art/ideas generated (providing documentation, donations, supplies, etc.)

Is also a source of info regarding any day-of changes of plans

2. Spoke of the new, creative energy emerging from Direct Action in the Friday marches from Zuccotti to the Stock Exchange that incorporate song, dance, the People’s Gong, Jerry from Theatre of the Oppressed (meeting 2pm at Zuccotti for a 3pm march and 4pm gong at the Exchange’s closing bell).

Also mentioned the Plus Brigades (?) performances and trainings designed to bring more creativity and fun to militancy…

3. A mass convergence of Choirs is planned for 5:30 at Madison Park as a form of outreach before marching to Union Square (contact

4. OWS Latin America plans a free store/free fair at tables at Union Square

5. May Day lo-fi FM radio offering pre-recorded music, interviews, May Day history, report backs during the day-of, hopefully ending with a dance party.

Call is out for programming

6. Occuprint is seeking funding to print upwards of 30,000 broadsheets (?) to distribute prior to May 1st; is also seeking folks to do distribution at subways.

7. Canadian artist Joel Richardson (?) wants to come into town to do wheat-pasting and stenciling of his “Grassroots …Revolutionary” images; call for volunteers

8. Possible action at music venues TBA for the evening of April 30

9. OWS Puppet Guild plans to create a Maypole, and a John Henry and Corporate Personhood puppets; call for volunteers to help with build but especially with operating day-of.

10. March 31 action at Sotheby’s (?) – contact Laila with Arts & Labor / Museums

11. Jo Robin proposed “Smash the State” piñatas to be made; also “Citizen Hero” patches / stencils to be made in advance and given to arrestees on day-of (call for help in making stencils and dropping them off with Puppet Guild)

New Ideas for Possible Actions:

1. Making a unified “action menu” describing desired audience, safety level, artists available (similar to the Call to Create list). Request to consider whether actions are OWS directed or general public outreach instead.

2. Follow-up action to the Art Fair / Exchange at the Armory; tables out with artwork to exchange, barter

3. Dance action – documenting movement; warm-up ballet barre class on barricades

4. Arts & Labor – stickering at ATMs (similar to ACTUP’s stickering campaign)

5. Locate an ailing community garden in one of the boroughs on a major subway line (Bklyn?) and provide teach-ins, food, healing sessions (as means of promoting May Day, introducing folks to OWS?)

6. OWS Latin America – actions related to Nature, Earth; walking with sacks of soil and seeds to pass out, place onto concrete (would this constitute littering?). Suggestion made to contact Food Justice which address similar issues

7. Jim from Aaron Burr Society – circle the Federal Reserve Building and toss pennies onto the street, similar to Abbie Hoffman’s idea to “levitate” the Fed Reserve Building

8. A coordinated banner drop?

9. Outreach to organize an Art Strike

10. Noah from Occupy Subways – subway outreach to the five boroughs prior to May Day, friendly, inviting; springtime theme, flowers; an opportunity to poll the public regarding OWS; possibility of reaching 2000 folks at once (Puppet Guild has been doing subway outreach performances to positive reception; may partner here)

11. Plus Brigades (?) – coordinating actions outside of safe zones, more disruptive and militant, life-affirming and creative in intent; proposing creating affinity groups of trusted folks with compatible comfort and risk levels for mutual support around actions

12. OccuPrint – has posters and flyers for folks to post in various neighborhoods (requesting a report back when a neighborhood has been postered). Possibility of dropping off new posters (including more information about the content of May Day) at 60 Wall Street for pick up (

Break-Out Groups formed:
1. Outreach / Subway / Messaging / Art Strike
2. Performance-related events
3. Art Fair / Art Exchange
4. People needing resources to fulfill ideas
5. Logistics

Break-Out Report Backs:
1. Outreach – discussed
Occuprint resources
Attention to not being Manhattan-centric
Subway maypoles
Everyone flyering their own neighborhoods
Press conferences
Approaching art institutions, galleries re: Art Strikes, covering exhibited works, for example
Diversity of messaging to ensure accessibility (“Have a beautiful May Day” / “A Day without the 99%)

2. Resource Group
Discussed the spreadsheet of resources available (through Call to Create)
“Feast” = funding opportunity with a Friday 3/30 proposal deadline (?)

3. Performance – made good connections

Meeting Closing

1. Reminding everyone of forming affinity groups

2. Sunday, April 1 at 6pm: Arts Cluster meeting

3. follow up May Day Arts meeting scheduled for Saturday, April 7 at 2pm in Union Square
Facebook invite: Arts Assembly II


Meeting Minutes: Feb 20, 2012

Meeting Minutes
Monday February 20, 2012

Minutes by: Antonio
Attendees: Eric (@recodebarcode), Paul (@artforhumans), Mark, Antonio (@antonioserna), Adrian (@adrian)

Report backs

1. Adrian says we got an email from the tech Tech team saying we need minutes up online. Tech team will use the blog for the news to feed into

2. Paul says Occupy with Art has several projects coming to life- Occupy! low-lives in 12 countries March 3rd.//Wall Street to Main Street WS2MS.  March 17 launch through May. Also working with Mark Read – The Illuminator. – instant cinema, and Arts & Culture Space team – meeting for multipurpose space. Business plan. Structures discussed. Hyperallergic exhibition coming up, and also applying for a space at Recess: re-imagining art space for the 99%, and RevGames coming to do past videos pre-sept 17th.

Antonio– clarification question: what about calendar/reservation tool, still no access/info on calendar for Hyperallergic space use, i.e google embedded calendar created by Adrian.

Paul– Still working to sinc this to HA reservation tool.

Antonio– I’m super busy right now, but for the sake of transparency,  I can offer list the calendar events if you can just set me up to receive reservation info.

3. Eric – Occutour- raids and evictions in Pittsburgh and buffalo put a downer on the CccuTour.

Continue reading

Meeting Minutes February 9th, 2012

Arts & Culture
Meeting Minutes
Thursday February 9, 2012

minutes by
Antonio (@antonioserna) -Announcment/Reportbacks
Imani (@imani) – Agenda

Imani (@imani), Chris Cobb, Antonio (@antonioserna), Max (Occupy Town square), Joe (facilitation), Emma, Adrian (@adrian), Eric (@recodebarcode), Lynn (@boolynn)


I. Organizational
– A&C email issues
– Hyperallergic scheduling proposal
– Occupy Town Square announcement
– Tech Ops/ Projects listing announcement
II. Space use at Hyperallergic (for SHARE OWS)
III. Art and The Commons

Continue reading

A & C Minutes – Feb. 13th 2012

No Facilitation

Minutes: Boo Lynn

Note: A & C Minutes: Monday, February 13th 2012. 6:30 – 10:00PM

  1. Announcements / Reportbacks
  1. The Illuminator
  2. “Show and Tell”
  3. “Wall Street Stunts!”
  4. Donated Artwork
  5. OWS/NYCGA Workshop
  6. Making Worlds: Commons Forum
  7. Cultural Occupation of Liberty Square (COOLS)
  8. Info/Communications Update
  9. Valentines Day Pop-up

  1. Paul announced that this coming Thursday’s A&C meeting (2/17), Mark Read will presenting a project called The Illuminator that included a mobile van unit.
    • Read envisions this as working across multiple working groups.
    • Read is looking for a dedicated point person with tech skills on live stream etc. to partner in manifesting the project.
    • Paul will forward the details to Arts & Culture and post on

  2. Chris is hosting a creative “show and tell” March 10 and March 11 from 2pm – 6pm at Hyperallergic 181 N. 11th Street [corner of Driggs & 11th] / Brooklyn, NY 11211.
    • All of the Occupy artists and groups are invited to present their work with an emphasis on Occupy projects.
    • The intention is to come together so we can all learn more about each other and the many groups, guilds, and affinities.
    • Please email Chris to sign up for a 20 minute presentation time:

    Continue reading

Minutes Monday February 6, 2012

Arts & Culture – Meeting Minutes
Monday February 6th, 2012

Minutes by Chris Cobb

Antonio @antonioserna, leora, deirdre (@dday), chris, james @jamesfredericrose, eric (@recodebarcode), maria (@maria)

(The meeting started with just a few people so the discussion was very informal and people came later so the minutes reflect the casualness of the conversation.)

I. reportbacks /announcements/agenda

Leora – facilitation saftey vests made, had help from screen printing guild and they used them and they worked at the occupy town square at washington square park vests were given to occupy town square – max or Cynthia – violence /nonviolence issues are a dealbreaker for a lot of people

Deidre said they want to make buttons that say OWS nonviolent so people can tell who is who in some visual way including at the town square so they need help to make the buttons and distribute them or try to figure out a way to distinguish between violent and non violent protesters, noted that in DC (January 17 – Occupy DC) mostly white guys were like anarchists baiting the cops and saying”fuck you” to them etc.Trying deliberately to provoke, party atmosphere which seemed really risky and irresponsible

Continue reading

A & C Minutes – February 2nd 2012

No Facilitation


Note: A & C Minutes: Thursday, February 2nd, 2012.6:10 PM

Present: Reka (@rekapolonyi), Zach (@zachary)

  1. Report Backs / Announcements
    1. Reka: Jerry’s Egypt Solidarity Action postponed. Needs more performers! Contact Jerry!
    2. Zach: Report back from MoMA Action 1/27. Action successful. Banner “acquired” by MoMA 1/13 returned by MoMA head of security. Novads happy.
    3. Reka: Hyperallergic Potluck Dinner Friday night 2/3 !!! Come out and tell people! In Williamsburg, search google threads and for address info.
      • Also—for people who can’t make Potluck on Friday, there will be the first Reading Group meeting there. We will discuss what books/literature to look at, what to collect, what focus we will be working toward through literature… it’s another occasion to check out the space and meet faces there.
    4. Zach: A & C wide Ice Cream Social Postponed. Joe (Puppet Guild) will update people soon on new date. Zach and Reka discussed possibly suggesting 2/17 to him. Would be great to get a good turnout and have more intermingling between the different A & C groups.
  2. Agenda
    • No agenda items.
  3. Proposals
    • No Proposals.

Meeting adjourned.